SUBJ: ANNUAL PERFORMANCE APPRAISAL EXERCISE – 1ST OCTOBER, 2019 – 30TH SEPTEMBER, 2020
The APER forms for Non-teaching staff is now available for download on www.cmul.edu.ng.
To proceed, click on the “Staff” Icon at the top right corner of the College website(www.cmul.edu.ng) and download the appropriate APER form.
The forms are to be completed by all Administrative, Secretarial and Technical Staff whether recommended for Promotion/Confirmation/Annual Increment or not, Departmental Heads are to:
1. Ensure proper completion of the Appraisal Forms.
2. Be consistent in their evaluation.
3. Reflect the relative contribution of each member of staff to overall objectives of the respective departments. The detailed report must cover punctuality, job performance, character of the staff being reported.
4. Set up DEPARTMENTAL PROMOTIONS COMMITTEE to scrutinize the forms of all their staff in the Department before the final recommendations are forwarded to the Administrative and Technical Staff Unit for Senior Staff (with the minutes of the Departmental Promotion Committee meeting attached). This procedure will minimize cases of oversight, inadequate information on salary,
Kindly bring to the notice of staff in your Department/Unit that there will be penalties for misinformation and distortion of facts presented to the Personnel Unit. Degrees and Certificates IN VIEW should NOT be included.
The Administrative and Technical Staff Unit will thereafter collate the recommendations as forwarded by the Departmental Promotions Committees and supported by the Dean or Head of Department/Unit or Chairman of the Management Board, for the consideration of the Administrative and Technical Staff Committee.
The forms downloaded are to be completed by all members of staff whether or not they are being recommended for promotion. (Printed in Portrait Size and not Landscape). Please note that the reporting system demands that every candidate should be given the opportunity to read the contents of his/her ASSESSMENT (p.5 of the APER form) comment on them if he/she wishes and append his/her signature in the space provided. After completion, the forms should be returned to the Principal Assistant Secretary (Admin. & Tech.) in three (3) batches as follows:
(a) those recommended for increment;
(b) those recommended for promotion; and
(c) those recommended for confirmation.
Recommendations for promotion must be justified based on one or more of the following reasons:
5. Reward for outstanding staff who have made substantial contribution towards the achievement of the goals and objectives of their respective departments or the University as a whole;
6. Increased responsibility arising from either the growth of the Department or unforeseen circumstances or both;
7. Expanded schedule of duties;
8. Acquisition of a higher qualification where this affects grading.
The following guidelines should also be observed when recommendations for promotions and confirmations of appointment are made:
i. Recommendations for promotions should be based on the assessment of candidates’ overall performance within the last three consecutive reporting years and should reflect contributions of candidates to the objectives of the Faculty, Department/Unit and University of Lagos.
ii. Staff on permanent appointment, whose appointments have NOT been confirmed, are NOT eligible for promotion.
iii. A member of staff on temporary appointment should NOT be recommended for promotion until such appointment is regularized.
iv. Where appropriate, the qualifications and experience stipulated in the Career Structure should be considered for recommendations to appropriate posts.
v. The baseline for confirmation of appointment is 2 calendar years.
vi. The baseline for promotion (without the skipping of salary scale) is THREE (3) YEARS i.e. 1st October, 2017. Where promotion involves the skipping of salary scales, the baseline is FOUR (4) YEARS i.e 1st October, 2016. (The given baseline is the guideline for eligibility of staff only and not an indication that recommendation for promotion/confirmation MUST be made.)
vii. APER FORM of any member of staff who has not worked for more than six (6) months in a Unit should be referred to staff’s previous place of work for proper assessment (where applicable). After completion, the forms should be returned to the Principal Assistant Secretary (Administrative and Technical Staff Unit) in three (3) batches as follows:
• Batch 1: Those recommended for Annual Increment.
• Batch 2: Those recommended for Promotion.
• Batch 3: Those recommended for Confirmation.
The Appraisal Forms should be processed and forwarded together with photocopies of their credentials and last letter of promotion/appointment for those recommended for promotion.
Completed APER FORMS for the Senior Staff should reach the Administrative and Technical Staff Unit not later than Friday, 24th July, 2020.
Please note that:
9. It is important to emphasize again that all completed Appraisal Forms in respect of all staff in each department must be forwarded en bloc with photocopies of relevant documents and credentials as soon as possible but not later than Friday, 24th July, 2020.
10. Each staff should correctly and properly complete his/her own sections of the APER Form.9
11. Each Dean/Head of Department should peruse carefully the APER Forms duly filled by his/her staff, and ensure that all sections are properly and correctly completed.
12. Any claim(s) with regards to possession of qualifications and experience should be scrutinized and attested to by each Head of Department.
Right of Individual to Appeal
An individual who feels that his/her claims to promotion have been overlooked shall have right of appeal to the Provost/College Secretary (as applicable), he/she shall send a copy of his appeal through the Dean of Faculty or Head of Department who shall comment on his/her appeal to the Provost/College Secretary.
The Appointments and Promotions Committee for Senior Administrative and Technical Staff shall meet at the earliest opportunity to review such appeals presented by the Provost/College Secretary to the Committee together with all relevant comments.
It will be appreciated if completed forms are forwarded to the Principal Assistant Secretary (Admin. & Tech.) NOT LATER THAN FRIDAY, 24TH JULY, 2020. Forms not received before this date will not be accepted for consideration.
The Appointments and Promotions Committee for Senior Administrative and Technical Staff will thereafter collate the recommendations as forwarded by the Departmental Appointments and Promotions Committees and supported by the Dean or Head of Department/Unit or Chairman of Management Board, for the consideration of appropriate Boards and Committees.
The Board requests Faculties/College, etc. to ensure that APER forms are properly completed, signed and dated by the candidates and respective Heads of Departments/Deans, etc
Adebimpe Odeniyi, Esq.
For: College Secretary